Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

At a Glance: BRP Can-Am Spyder

"The Paparazzi Escape Vehicle"


Since last ensnared in Can-Am's Spyder's Web I am sorry to report that they still have yet to clear up any confusion with regards to licensing requirements. It is true, on the one hand they now state that you cannot use one of their machines to take your motorcycle test. However, they do falsely lead you to believe that you too can ride a Can-Am Spyder without a motorcycle license in Quebec. Which leads me to ponder just how overpaid the folks at BRP actually are given that this is complete and utterly untrue!

Amen!
Interested parties will be happy to know that, while it is true, all you need in Quebec, Canada is a class 5 (motor vehicle) license to undertake the Road Safety Education Program (RSEP), inevitably you cannot ride one without a motorcycle trike license. For two seasons now I have worked alongside a team that has been charged with the task of giving new BRP Can-Am Spyder owners the aforementioned mandatory course in order to obtain their 6E (trike) license at École de Moto Sur2Roues located here in Sherbrooke, Quebec. On their website BRP claims that you should look at the SAAQ website for more information. The link that they provide you too takes you to a definition of a three (3) wheeled motorcycle, you know, just in case you don't know how to count already. What they neglect to mention is that the RSEP program is designed to allow people to add a Class 6E trike license to their existing Class 5 license. Thus, it is illegal to operate a Spyder in Quebec without a 6E license! Adding insult to injury, you cannot simply just drop by your local Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) outlet to have it added. Why? Good Question. I don't know and neither did the SAAQ teller I asked last time I was there. What I do know is that you have to mail your attestation to the SAAQ located in Quebec City.

Autobot KnockOut
Photo © Hasbro
The course itself consists of three (3) hours of theory and four (4) hours of onsite training at an accredited motorcycle school, Sur2Roues. Once complete it takes upwards of two weeks to get the 6E designation attached to your existing Class 5 license from the SAAQ in Quebec City. Despite these Tabanac moments, there is no denying that BRP Can-Am has made a killing with their unusual trike. Misleading information aside, they have garnered a steady following since the Spyder's release in 2007. BRP seems to have targeted everybody of all ages as even toy manufacturers like Hasbro have jumped on the band wagon (for a price no doubt) and have produced Transformers such as the one pictured right. Start em young I suppose not unlike what soft drink & tobacco companies use to do back in the day when candy cigarettes and soft drink gummies were common.

Photo © vintagesleds.com
As for the actual BRP Can-Am Spyder itself it's a fantastic machine, not unlike the machine it was certainly based off of, the ski-doo, invented in 1959 right here in Quebec, Canada by Joseph-Armand Bombardier, founder of Bombardier. In that time there have been ample reviews of this machine, including by notable motorcycle journalist Bryan Harley of Motorcycle USA who wrote about the 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT, BRP's newest machine that features most notably a new triple cylinder six speed transmission. As well, BRP has clearly decided to go with a playful approach to their machine as seen with their newest commercial "the paparazzi escape vehicle" featuring Danica Patrick as spokesperson. It adds a bit of edginess with the inclusion of Steven Tyler attempting to increase it's cool factor however, I can't help but wonder if it isn't alienating a larger market or whether BRP even cares. Starting at $16, 899 this machine isn't exactly in everyone's price range. As Danica herself states in their newest commercial, you can call "1-844-SPYDER-LA to rescue you, but please, be famous"!

The Can-Am Spyder RS-S
The Can-Am Spyder is an odd machine. I hesitate to refer to it even as a motorcycle because, well, it isn't really a motorcycle. At least, not in the way that it handles or corners. It is somewhat of a clumsy machine in many ways that does everything well but not one thing perfectly... except for braking that is. Equipped with ABS brakes this machine has been set up with quite possibly the best braking system I have ever experienced. It doesn't matter how fast or how hard I am riding, the moment I press on it's brakes I stop within seconds completely and safely. This is confidence inspiring. The Spyder is also very easy and straightforward to drive. I do mean, drive, because that is exactly how it feels when riding it. At a stand still the handlebars are stubborn about moving left to right which may make activating the steering lock cumbersome for those with shoulder or back injuries. However, with crisp and learner friendly throttle use, once moving the bike is very accommodating and easy to steer.

An Array of Gadgets Will Keep Even Honda Goldwing Enthusiasts Happy!
So many options, so little time...
'R' for Richie Rich... or perhaps Reverse!
Optional Hard-bags Suit the Can-Am Spyder RS Very Well.
Back to Basics - Thankfully
Nice Little Feature - Emergency Light
Extra Options Include Heated Grips (which actually get too hot!),
Suspension Adjuster, and Fog Lights
Can-Am Spyder RT
If your willing to upgrade to the Spyder RT for $25, 499.00 you can also have integrated saddlebags, a fridge, flat screen television and whirlpool (only accessible on rainy days) added to your purchase. Oh, did I mention that it has an adjustable windshield, you know, just in case you wanted to block even more, um... nature. There are a host of accessories. The semi-automatic machines, like the one pictured left, are as easy as it gets to ride. The bike automatically downshifts for you meaning that you don't have to quickly do so in case of an emergency stop. A nice little feature actually. There is only one brake for the entire bike though, like a car, and it is equipped with a throttle accelerator. The integrated saddlebags are stylish and a front storage compartment is available on all Spyder's... which is actually a nice touch and doesn't detract at all from the overall looks of the machine... love it or hate it. Personally, I find the Spyder RT to look more like a love child between a Honda Civic and an Honda Goldwing GL1800AL. Ironically the latter starts at $29, 999! Personally, I'd go for the Spyder RS as it has a manual transmission that is set up exactly like a motorcycle.

Perfect for Two-Up Riding!
Where this particular model really shines is its capacity to comfortably transport you and your beloved anywhere around the world that you would like. The seat is exceptionally comfortably, probably the most comfortable OEM motorcycle seat available. This is a great alternative to folks who would like to do more two-up riding but may find the thought of having someone behind them on two wheels for too long a period cumbersome or vice versa, maybe your not as confident in your beloved's riding capabilities as he or she is, than the Spyder is the perfect solution. Heck, throw in a baby seat and you have yourself a full day out with the family. Just note that taking corners on a Spyder is not unlike that of a car. Yes, you need to lean into the curve, but like a car you can feel yourself being pulled in the opposite direction if your going too fast. Thus, treat corners as you would in your car otherwise you may find yourself taking an unexpected pit stop. I can't help but feel that this is where the Spyder's identity crisis comes into play the most. Unlike Piaggio's MP3 400, with its innovative parallelogram suspension that allows the scooter to tilt into corners, the Spyder's rigid front suspension makes the experience a bit hair raising for inexperienced riders.

Add caption
The OEM exhaust on the Spyder is quiet. So quiet in fact that after filming some of the exercises that we do at our school I inevitably had to add Ashley MacIsaac to the video as you could literally hear the rain more than the motorcycles passing by. For those of you who believe Loud Pipes Save Lives, fret not, there are sportier sounding aftermarket exhausts available for the Can-Am Spyder. Though, between you and me it's a myth and inevitably, the Spyder is aimed squarely at the middle-aged, about to retire demographic whose neighbors would likely not take well to being awoken every morning as you started up your trike. According to the SAAQ, this is a luxury item after all, not a bar hopping, fire spitting, I'm going to eat your children kinda bike a la Ghost Rider. Reversing the Can-Am is simplistic enough though the aforementioned steering problems and sensitive throttle could mean an unintentional encounter with the back end of your house or worse, your beloved's car. It happens to the best of us and though I can't name people directly, one motorcycle instructor did just that a couple of weeks ago shaving off some of the rear fender from our rented Can-Am Spyder. Here is what you can expect if you take a Can-Am Spyder Safety Course:

Spyder's Web


Quebec's Own Stig
aka Phil Gosset
On the road the Can-Am Spyder is confidence inspiring due to the fact that it's got an excellent front footprint. Though, when I have taken the bike out on the road I did find that at times it felt as though the front end needed constant adjusting. I blame this on Quebec's roads more so than the bike itself. Pot holes, cracked pavement, and generally poorly kept roads overall makes Riding in Quebec more of an off road adventure than anything else. The gear box itself, especially on the semi-automatic can be clunky. The latter also won't let you up-shift until you surpassed at least 13-14 miles per hour (22-24 kilometers an hour). Some of the components feel cheaply made, the front storage compartment lid wobbles a bit and has in fact busted open during emergency braking maneuvers! Thus, avoid putting anything too valuable in front. Many of the features feel gimmicky to me as well, like adjustable windshields and heated grips that end up cooking your hands to medium rare. (Several students have actually complained about this) In fairness, the Spyder handles avoiding obstacles well and even has safety features that ensure you will never flip over. A computer senses when one of the front wheel lifts and shuts power to your throttle immediately. It reactivates seconds later allowing you to continue on your way. An interesting feature that essentially discourages spirited riders from attempting Evel Knieval style stunts. It's as easy to drive as your Honda Civic. Which begs to question: has BRP missed the mark somewhere? Should a motorcycle feel like a car? This is where I am most disappointed. Don't get me wrong, if health reasons meant that I was no longer able to ride two wheels I'd happily consider one. But then again, I would be just as inclined to convert my existing motorcycle into a trike with a voyager convertible trike kit. Food for thought.

77 comments:

  1. I have a question...

    Why do you think this is motorcycle related?

    Domn8r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it is a motorcycle, one of which has been argued to be anything but. Adding to that the company has repeatedly made false statements over the years including that you too can now take your motorcycle test on one of these machines (you cant, at least not here) or that you do not need a motorcycle license to ride one (you do, at least here) and you have yourself a conundrum of sorts.

      Ride Safe!

      Delete
    2. its a what?

      Domn8r

      Delete
    3. Hilarious!

      Yeah, ok, I see your point and in my review, I state as much.

      :-p

      Delete
    4. A trike is a trike.

      steve376

      Delete
    5. my wife took her test on her Can Am Spyder in Illinois!

      elsie_rider

      Delete
  2. Perhaps what is needed is a classification of license which would allow one to ride only a trike unless additionally endorsed.


    XIII

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's A car...

    JFL Live

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah its pretty hard to think of it as a bike when it has power steering. Unless you're a real safety nazi, its also hard to understand why a rider would want one unless because of a health issue...but then its time for a convertible, not some mechanical bastardization that falls between the cracks of easy definition.

    XIII

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Can Ams....I wouldn't buy one unless I needed to be on 3 wheels though.

    Ninjato

    ReplyDelete
  6. They had a free test ride here a year or two ago. If you had an MC endorsement, you could go out on the highway. If not, they had a closed course. Guess the dmv is the saying you need a license here.

    Was more than happy to sign up for a free ride. Then I noticed it was at 1pm on a Wednesday. Sadly, time off form work doesn't cover free rides.

    scootergptx

    ReplyDelete
  7. just more motorcycle rules, regulations, policy and legislation enacted by NRMF's.

    Domn8r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I told HR when they said the time off wasn't covered.

      scootergptx

      Delete
  8. I'd call it a trike....and since I can' t hold up a 900 lb bike with a tourpack with wife and gear with my DDS, and the only way my wife wants to travel distance with me is with a super comfy seat, it becomes one of my future options..I like the new 3 cyl/6 speed manual version...strong as an Indian but hp and torque is switched....even rated to pull a 400 lb trailer...

    I guess if the wife and I roll up to a rally on one we need to be prepared for the worst!

    DC1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some unwarranted hate towards folks on can-am's at some of the hardcore motorcycle shows but that being said, the problem were the haters not the spyder riders. Ride whatever makes you happy... even if it cost more than a Honda Civic.

      Delete
    2. $23,000 for the entry level tourer......bad part is the comparison cost of a Harley Triglide or a Wing Trike being $10,000 or more higher..

      DC1

      Delete
  9. hey look, they put the training wheels on the front!

    Desert Rat

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, what's it like to ride one? I'm trying to overcome my disdain of 3 wheeled anything.

    I really don't think you need any special permission to ride one here, judging by the rolling messes I see daily by the dealership.

    manotickmike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you all about it via the review. But in short, feels like riding a car more than a motorcycle, particularly where corners are concerned. I think that in terms of value for money I'd rather go for a traditional trike (if I had to go for a trike at all) rather than one of these. But that then I have never been a fan of the Can-Am Spyder or its styling.

      Delete
  11. The people I have talked to that have a Can Am love them . When I can no longer ride my 1400, a Cam Am is what I will look at.

    Glen773

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would find it hard to classify anything as a motorcycle if it had three car tires on it..........

    rattler50

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a chance to demo one last Saturday. Normaly when I see one parked somewhere,I say why would anybody want that? Well after my demo ride Saturday I can certainly see why. I had an absolute blast on it.
    Tons of power and you don't feel the bumps. The one I road was a sport model. Paddle shifter for up shifting and as you slowed the spyder downshifted itself. You don't even have to roll off the throttle on upshifts.
    Great thing about these machines is that anybody can hop on one and ride away. 3 wheel abs brakes was very smooth. Got to go out for just under a half hour with to good friends and our guide. Honestly I didn't want to give it back! Here's a shot of me at the demo in hammonton,nj

    Holdnon72

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the Massachusetts RMV web site...

    DEFINITIONS
    MOTORCYCLE
    By law, a motorcycle is any motor vehicle having a seat or
    saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not
    more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including
    any bicycle with a motor or driving wheel attached. A three-
    wheeled motor vehicle on which the operator and passenger
    ride within an enclosed cab may be registered as a motorcycle
    if the manufacturer indicates it meets the safety standards for
    a motorcycle on the certificate of origin and it is designed to be operated on public ways.

    So as far as I can tell both the Spyder and the Elio are "motorcycles" here at least by law.

    rutjon

    ReplyDelete
  15. My wife loves her Spyder. She does have an endorsement that is for trikes only as she took her test on the Spyder.

    elsie rider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the new wider RT with the stronger 3 cyl/6 speed yet?? If so, whatta ya think??

      DC1

      Delete
  16. I think it depends on whether we are talking about a common sense definition or a legal (CMV) definition.

    The Can-Am is a trike - a motorcycle with 3 wheels. The DMV definition is going to vary by state, but if you sit on a saddle and steer with a handlebar I would think most states would classify it as a "motorcycle".

    Those exotic, bizarre 3 wheelers with an enclosed cabin (heat and A/C), a steering wheel and a bucket seat should be defined as a car/cage ... whether an individual state's DMV defines it that way varies by state I'm sure.

    rth333

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see the allure
    I tried the Sport model and the touring and liked the touring better.. Felt wonky in turns but thats lack of saddle time..
    BRP must be doing OK.. I am seeing loads of these things in these parts..

    fyr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I don't like is the semi-automatic. It constantly downshifts for you in hilly, twisty bends which means that your arguing with it most of the time. Seems overdone imho. The manual transmission is more responsive and doesn't have the same issues.

      Delete
    2. I do not understand your prob with the semi auto ?? Don't you downshift long time before it does it auto ? I am on my second RT (11 & 14) and I never use the auto downshifting: a lot too late for my taste!

      Prmurat

      Delete
    3. My problem with the semi-auto is that when riding in 30 mph/50kph hour zones (again, in hilly twisty roads) it downshifts automatically if you go below 46kph. At least, on the rental I have been using. Which means I have to increase my speed to 52 kph before it'll even allow me to go back into fourth.

      It's overkill and I personally just wish it would it would let me decide to downshift, after all it does have said option. On faster roads, naturally this isn't a problem though. (i.e. 50 to 70 mph zones - 80 to 120 kph zones)

      Delete
    4. I like my 2012 Can Am Spyder a lot. Especially the SE5 semi-auto transmission. Goes like a rocket, rides comfortably, and stops well. I've had absolutely no issues with it and am on my 3rd riding season.

      redflasher

      Delete
    5. OMG you want to be in 4th @50kph??? This the best way to destroy the clutch( On V twin): apart in 1st gear you should never be under 2500 rpms. The 3 cylinders is different (hydraulic semi auto clutch) and more flexible... Any good dealer should have told this.

      Prmurat

      Delete
    6. This is the first I have ever heard of this on a Can-Am, sorry but why would you stay in third whilst the engine is revving high? Clearly the bike wants to be in fourth if it allows itself to be changed into fourth gear. It runs smoother and in lower rpms. I'll check with my dealer but honestly, we work with BRP regularly and no one from there ever mentioned this. V-Twins are another story altogether and depends on the size of the engine. I know for instance that the Suzuki S50 650cc likes to be in third gear at 50/55kph. (One of our other type of school bikes)

      Delete
    7. It has to do with the torque/power range of the Vtwin (were you renting a 900 or a 1300 3 cyl?) and the auto clutch: at below 2500 the centrifugal clutch start to slip and destroy itself. If you go on any Spyder forum this problem have been covered at nauseam.... This was a reason of a recall some years ago in which the software was updated to downshift at 2500rpm. A good dealer would download a graph of your riding and refuse any warranty clutch work if it shows a "bad" percentage of your riding below said rpm. Sorry I do not see the relevance with the Suzuki S50???

      Some quick reading here:

      http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ifting-results

      Shift as high (or low) as you want (up to the redline or rev limiter). The 4K number is a minimum for the SE...and it is actually a bit too low. I say don't shift an SE below 4,500. The threshold for lockup on the clutch is 3,200 +/- 200 so you don't want to drop below 3,500 after the shift. For the SM like you have, there really are no limits. You don't want to lug the engine, so if it seems to labor (or even knocks) raise the shift point. The Spyder is a lot happier above 5K. Once you tap that extra response and horsepower it is hard to make yourself shift much below 6 or 7 thousand. JMHO

      http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-to-shift-gear

      Prmurat

      Delete
    8. Thanks for the extra information. I wasn't aware of said issues nor am I an expert on this machine. As for the S50, I must have misunderstood one of your previous references to v-twins as being about two wheeled motorcycles and hence was making a point of agreeing with you about being in third for at the speeds discussed. The links you provide are great, I appreciate it. Ride Safe.

      Delete
  18. My wife wants one in yellow.

    small's

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can Am Spyders are seen as a beginner vehicle around here. A lot of them crash around here too.

    I can't see the appeal of a Can Am myself, but then I don't live somewhere flat and straight. As part of the TurtlePalooza this past weekend, we were riding on Wayah Road, known for its curves, when we caught up to a guy on a Spyder who looked like he was working his butt off at 25 miles per hour. The speed limit it on that stretch is 50, and there was no way he was going to able to get it much past 25. I don't understand the concept of sitting on a motorcycle seat that has no lateral support, and driving a vehicle that produces lateral G forces.

    GapRunr

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been stuck behind more than one of them things in the twisties myself, not sure if it's the machine or the riders they attract but 15-25 mph through 35 mph posted, easy 55 mph MC curves seems to be the norm.

    I've talked to some older riders who have switched to Can-Am reverse trikes because they can't hold up a two wheeler anymore, so I try to keep that in mind when I see those machines out on the road. It sure doesn't seem like a real motorcycle to me, but if I'm one of those whose body goes before his mind, spirit, and money catch up I may have something of the like in my own future.

    I know we have more than a few septuagenarians and a handful of octogenarians around here who are still riding on two wheels and doing it well, though. I hope to be one of those in a few more decades, but a trike still beats a Lincoln for getting around if it comes to it!

    DonBenito

    ReplyDelete
  21. Friends don't let friends ride Spyders!

    jonnycando

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looked every model Spyder they make over in detail today...About the only thing I didn' t like is 3 wheels and knowing how I will miss leaning into the curves.......

    My wife absolutely loves the passenger arrangement on the RT's and wants one for us real real bad.....If she is going to travel cross country on vacations with me it will be worth it.......Storage space for everything and comes in Pearl White and matches my trailer...Handlebar at the perfect reach for me, no mod necessary, 1st thing on 2 or 3 wheels I have sit on yet that fit perfectly in every way in factory form and the basic RT has almost everything we will need..Will stick with the manual 6 speed to keep any resemblance to a motorcycle I can keep..She LOVES IT so odds are, it's the way we will go when the time comes..About $25,000 and we will be set, maybe for the rest of our lives!

    DC1

    ReplyDelete
  23. sounds like the one Debbie has. The new ones have floorboards and she is getting them for her bike as well. She has the semi-auto .

    elsie rider

    ReplyDelete
  24. Question- Many people like trikes but hate Spyders. What's the difference as they both have 3 wheels?

    They both look good to me if I ever had to go to a three wheeler. I was looking at a bunch of Spyders at a bike night in NJ a few days ago and they seem to be a really nice machine.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  25. Word is that the Spyder handles very strangely. And looking at it, I get the feeling it does, though I am not sure what you get handling wise. And while standard trikes actually are configured to allow the rider to sit comfortably with come to papa handlebars and feet straight down, and certainly some highway pegs if desired. Now the Spyder tries to replicate something of a sport bike stance which one can never spend unlimited hours on. I do see they have an option package that makes a moderate stance more plausible it still needs somebody less than six foot two. I am sure tall folk would be supremely disappointed with all the option packages. The spyder looks like an idea that came about with the central idea of..."Do something different than everything else, and I don't care what it is." And the designers did the Spyder. It's not practical or even good.

    jonnycando

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you looked at or sat on a "2014" RT? Best "come to papa" handlebars I have found YET!!! I hate the way a crotch rocket sits and the new RT sits about as "cruiser"as it gets (Not counting forwards or highway pegs) The position is almost identical to my C50 but I had to use risers on the C50 to get the bars back far enough to work for me. Perfectly upright posture and no reach issues...But I do see where a taller cruiser rider would be cramped, It fits 5'9" real good!They have revamped it a bit to get into a cruiser position..and a goldwing trike or triglide is a motorcycle converted to a trike but the Spider is designed from the get-go to be one! The 2014 RT has corrected the "Tail Wag" issues with stiffer shocks and other refinements and a stability system added.......so..........the ability to handle the twisties will depend more on the intestinal fortitude of the rider than the abilities of the trike! With the right pilot it should handle pretty good now and fend for itself good in the straightaways and the twisties!

      DC1

      Delete
    2. OK, that's good news I guess, now all they have to do is make it look good to me. A tall order to be sure since my benchmark is the classic look of a tri-glide or most any of the name brand kits to make whatever you have into a trike.

      jonnycando

      Delete
    3. To be honest! It looks odd to me too! But I think I can get used to it over time!

      DC1

      Delete
    4. Not bad from the bars back, but the front section is tres ugly. Looks like one guy got to design the windshield, and two others did the middle and bottom sections, and THEN they got together and just mashed the three together.The front of some snowmobiles look really swoopy. Can't see why they don't use the same design philosophy here. Currently it looks like a bigger version of most of those pain in the ass electric scooters that all the deadbeats are riding.

      XIII

      Delete
    5. It just tries forcibly to change to the whole trike paradigm. There is nothing wrong with the original paradigm and I don't know why Bombardier on the whole wants to push the envelope so hard. When I first saw them my jaw went slack and my eyes crossed. I still am chafing over the overall styling. Yes indeed, it's a horse designed by a committee.

      jonnycando

      Delete
    6. When we get ours, I am going to name it Optimus Prime!

      DC1

      Delete
    7. @ XIII I might be because of the trunk capacity.

      Chuck

      Delete
    8. Good point. Perhaps I should have used a different descriptive term. That front end just does not flow. It humps and bumps.Should be one contiuous set of lines right up to the windshield

      XIII

      Delete
  26. Trikes are okay and still somewhat configured as a motorcycle. But when you put the two wheels up front and add 3 car tires (because there is no use using motorcycle tires) then you've crossed the line. It's no longer a motorcycle................

    rattler50

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have one in the family, ride it occasionally. Not for me but it is a well sorted machine. Pluses and minuses to everything mechanical. No regrets to ownership.

    4PawsHacienda

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think I got a brochure on these in the mail the other day from the Scooter Store..........

    rattler50

    ReplyDelete
  29. Did a demo ride on one, hated it.

    maxriderdon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which model?

      DC1

      Delete
    2. what did you hate about it. Would the hate be the same for a traditional trike ?

      I have the triglide, my wife has the Spyder. Had they not given me a good deal for the triglide I would be owning a new Spyder RT right now.

      It is different and takes a while to get your brain to get out of the 2 wheel mode. Once that is gone the Spyder will haul ass and can scream around the twisties. The new 3 cylinder 1300 CC engine has got to be fast as the 998CC is very fast already .

      elsie rider

      Delete
    3. From my research 0 to 60 in about 5 seconds unless loaded down too bad and top speed has been increased to 125 mph (governed) but I bet there is a chip for that...It would go faster before it redlined or ran out of juice!!

      I have been watching ride videos....I like the sound of the new 3 cyl, like a souped up hot rod geo metro!

      In the ride reviews they say the "new" VSS (Vehicle Stability System) will slow you down if you try to take a twisty too hard holding your line, won't let you tip it!..(And the reviews say this new one is a little more top heavy)....May be a good thing for inexperienced riders or a bad thing when the Oh Chit moment comes.. May not be able to power out of a tight spot or may cut the power at the worst time! It will burn out just fine but if you turn the handlebar when doing it, it cuts your power out!

      Probably all "good things" for riding 2 up with the Misses, I bet it will go as fast as my wife will want to go as a passenger in just about every situation! I will get used to its funny front end looks as it appears it is going to make her extremely happy for us to have one to travel! I want to see the country with her, she would rather do it in a car, I would rather do it on 2 wheels but can't physically 2 up with gear with my back issues on one comfortable enough for her!!. This will be a compromise we both can live with to enjoy our later years.....If she ends up losing her leg to DVT or becomes disabled and just cant do it anymore we will take a car instead.....

      But.......

      If she just stops riding with me for no reason, I have plan B..

      DC1

      Delete
    4. Don't remember it was about 3~4 years ago in Daytona. Almost every trike out there had serious squealing brakes, steering too sensitive as speed is picked up, and curves made me feel like I was going to come off the trike, NO thanks.

      maxriderdon

      Delete
    5. I understand! They have made improvements such as adjustable and stiffer shocks and stability control but I bet that same feeling of wanting to be "slung off" is still there...

      DC1

      Delete
    6. Yep, that's why instead of going with a trike I'd rather ride this baby, keeps ya firmly in the seat and for me probably more fun with full weather protection.

      maxriderdon

      Delete
    7. @ maxriderdon you have to shift weight , or lean into the turn . and all the spyders are not the same.

      elsie rider

      Delete
    8. @ DC1 lean into the turn ...sit straight up if you want that feeling of being slung off.

      elsie_rider

      Delete
  30. If I had the $$$ you can bet I'd have a Spyder along w/ the FJR and TW

    In reality, right now, if I really wanted to ride a trike, I got one in the garage.


    Ninjato

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looked at the new Spyders. They have done a lot of improvements. Now a 6 speed transmission, the radiator moved forward and the fan blows outward, not on the rider and the oil cooler moved to the rear. Spyder seat is one of the best ( gel seats ) . The automatic ones have floorboards. ( reason we were there was to order floorboards for my wife's Spyder.

    elsie rider

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is what its all about!

    tsns1

    ReplyDelete
  33. Have you all see the newest incarnation of the Spyder.... looks suspiciously similar to Polaris' Slingshot (the front end that is...)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nobody can bitch about it being a Harley Clone!

    DC1

    ReplyDelete
  35. Talked to a couple of folks riding can ams 2 up while in the Ozarks and they both said their wifes still lean in the curves by habit from time to time but they sit straight up mostly...one of them challenged me to keep up with him in the twisties, says he can keep up with most anyone.....He sounded real confident but I kinda doubted his resolve since his can am was on a trailer..

    DC1

    ReplyDelete
  36. DC1 even the DVD that comes with the Can Am says to lean forward and into the turn....some make exaggerated leans which is not a necessity ( my wife )

    They keep making the reference " not like two wheels " to let you know a whole different mindset when you are on a trike.

    The can am is smoother then most other trikes as it has an awesome suspension. My wife can change the stiffness on rear wheel while on the go , soft on highway , firm on curvy roads. Independent suspension is great . I see her behind me going over bumps so smoothly and I am bouncing around.

    steveinsandiego .. why get a trike with no baggage capacity (unless you can't hold up two wheels and just do small day rides)

    elsie_rider

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes, it would be a grave mistake to assume that turning into curves is the same for the can am spyder as it is on a motorcycle. When teaching students how to do emergency turns to avoid obstacles in the middle of the road the spyder really hates being manhandled. But inevitably, practice makes perfect and doing these types of maneuvers inevitably helps students learn how to take curves more naturally and of course, slower than they they would on a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  38. WHY slower ..... I have seen them scream around corners staying right with the two wheels..... now I am not talking the 2 wheel sport bikes, talking about what we see at rallies with IA

    elsie rider

    ReplyDelete
  39. I used to ride three wheel ATV's til they outlawed them. To get those things to turn I had to hang so far off that my patootie nearly dragged the ground. You figured it out on your own or if not you were forever understeering right into trees!

    jonnycando

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrecked a three wheeler and so did my wife, the same three wheeler- a honda big red..(her wreck was at about 45 mph which was about wide open on that thing).......but those things were different animals.....that solid rear axle made it one tough thing to turn on a solid road surface..even when you thought ya had that thing figured out It still would throw you a curve every now and then........

      We have talked to several can am owners now and they claim they can hold a curve as fast as they care to take them.....I think that would be fast enough for me...I am trying to figure out how to get a test ride on the new 3 cyl version 2 up to make my mind up about whether it is worth getting or not and recommend anyone else doing the same if they are interested in them..Reviews are good, talking to other owners so far is good, seem to be really dependable, fits the bill for 2-up traveling for a bad back, but I think that test run will be the most important.......I won' t consider getting one without it....

      DC1

      Delete
  40. If you ride ON it, it's a motorcycle.

    If you drive IN it, it's a car.

    CarlDavid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way but a lotta folks will never accept that Can Am but so what.....Way I look at it, if the wife is happy, their beliefs is a non factor.........

      DC!

      Delete