Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My Lefty DB Custom Cigar Box Guitar

It was late in 2014 when I first discovered the simplicity and beauty of these home made works of art.

They can inspire a person musically to take a simple approach and allows them to speak from their hearts. They can also bring us back to a time where ingenuity, hard work and passion was what was needed for our forefathers to create these little powerhouses's.

After much research on finding someone to sell me one, I came across DB Customs, and Mister Darren Brown. Low and behold, he lives in Canada...well, I said to myself...self, order yourself one..chop chop.


Not knowing what I did not know, and after a few chat's with Darren, I ended up getting a complete custom, one of a kind left CBG. Shamefully, I suppose, I have not named her, however it never occured to me that I should of..oh the shame..

I got her a few days after Christmas and like my buddy Mario, I felt like a kid in the candy store... and once unwrapped I disappeared into the basement with CBG in hand and plugged her into my Marshall AS50D Acoustic Amplifier (Which I highly recommend)

Seems like I ended up spending the rest of the evening down there, staring at this new work of art, plucking one string at a time and feeling each fret as if I knew what I was doing. I ended up making at least six or seven videos that night and posted a few (Especially for Mario. I think I was trying to be a CBG Pusher) and I have to say. This little gem certainly ranks up there with my other "guitars" and I have to say, I do look forward to the day I can play her with as much confidence and grace as some other players out there like Mr. Justin Johnson.

I enjoy my CBG so much that I went seeking some inexpensive cigar boxes and happened to find 18 or so of them near home and so this winter of 2015 I will attempt to manufacture myself a few different styles and see how I fair and I will be sure to share pictures regardless of if the project is a success or not.

Here is the Video of Darren giving her a test run before shipping my new pride and joy to me.


Cheers,
JV

1 comment:

  1. Kinda reminds me of the late Bo Diddley...!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/arts/music/03diddley.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

    Perry Benedik

    ReplyDelete