Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Monday, September 21, 2015

Meet Bella - My Moto Guzzi V7 Racer!

Ah, Molto Bella!
Choosing Mr. T's Replacement can only be described as a lifetime of waiting as I finally came to an important decision today. I put a down payment on a bike that I had given up on ever buying because frankly, at its regular price, it was out of reach. Even more so, had you asked me after selling The WidowMaker if I would ever own a Moto Guzzi again I would have said probably not. However, Piaggio has helped Moto Guzzi come a long way and the V7 range is no exception. It shares the same bullet proof 750 transverse V-Twin as my former Nevada, but has been upgraded with over 70% new components since 2013. Moto Guzzi has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity over the last decade. Add to the fact that thanks to Moto Guzzi's new lineup of V7II's to hit dealerships in the next few months, they discounted their present lineup and voila, you are now looking at the very excited and very proud owner of a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer whom I believe I shall aptly name Bella. Don't take my word for it, just ask Jamie Robinson...


Moto Guzzi V7 Review 
By MotoGeo's Jamie Robinson

I bought my beloved Bella after five years of ogling her. She is to me what a 57 Chevy Bel-Air is to car enthusiasts, only better as I prefer two wheels to four. The Moto Guzzi V7 Racer is a remarkable embodiment of a motorcycle company and a piece of history not unlike that of Royal Enfield, Harley-Davidson, and thanks to Polaris, Indian Motorcycles. The V7 Racer is the flagship of a company located in Mandello del Lario and has been in continuous production since 1921. Unlike other Italian brands, it is still produced in Italy at the little plant that continues to inspire the hearts and dreams of so many motorcyclists around the world.



So why the Guzzi over my other considerations? Simply put, the little Guzzi ticks all my boxes. At 395lbs with a 5.8 Gallon/22 litre tank (500 kilometre/300mile range), shaft drive, ease of wrenching including valve adjustments and retro classic authenticity; what more could I ask for? Oh, price of course! Originally priced at $10, 590 (excluding taxes and shipping), Rock Moto Sport was selling Bella at $8, 495 (excluding taxes and shipping)! Thus, I bought a new bike at a used price! Viva l'Italiano... My only complaint is that I have to wait until May 2016 before picking her up! Thus, the next six months may prove the most unbearable yet as I await to take possession of my beautiful Bella! Until then, I will have to re-watch Jamie Robinson's adventure to Big Sur as he takes to the open road on a his very own Moto Guzzi V7 Racer!

Big Sur via Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
By MotoGeo's Jamie Robinson

Special thanks to Michael Oborne of Rock Moto Sport here in Sherbrooke, Quebec!

21 comments:

  1. When are we going for a ripe ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 2016 when I collect her! Wear long johns and mittens!

      Delete
    2. MAY long johns and mittens. That's birthday suit weather !!

      Hoppy

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Mario!

    Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  3. He finally pulls the trigger! Congrats!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. badhai ho mario..... congrats. ab himanshu se puccho is bike ka puja kahan pe kiye jaye....india me ya canada ki kisi mandir me. hahaha. for translation ask himanshu.

    Sabya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even Google Translate won't work! gasp emoticon Himanshu, help me out!

      Delete
  5. Should be a great ride!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm already trying to figure a way out to get it into our apartment during the winter so I can ogle at it during those cold winter months... tongue emoticon

      Delete
    2. Absolutely, I'd do the same!

      Dan

      Delete
  6. Mario - AWESOME!!! Great choice. In the distant past I myself have eyed a few Guzzies. I would of course have gone for the California style. Have had friends who owned them and they loved them. Be sure to get some throw-over bags as you do not want to be washing clothes every day - lol!! Good luck, why do you have to wait so long? Be able to take Jen along on a weekend ride, or is it just to go with the guys??

    Lawrence aka Weary Soldier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment Bella is set up for solo riding but I will be getting the kit to convert the rear for Jen, whom I have no doubt will be delighted to be riding with me again.

      Delete
  7. Nice. That was on my short list of bikes.

    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the price was just too good to pass up and honestly, every time I see the bike in person I can't even remember any other bike I have come across... :-p 

      Delete
    2. Ha! Yeah.. that'll happen. 

      I have to say.. if it weren't for the fact that I have a Ducati dealer right in my town and am no where near a Guzzi dealer I could have just as easily ended up with the V7 Stone. 

      Will

      Delete
    3. You know, I kept checking out the Scrambler myself. Price is the same after all. But in the end, the Guzzi just fit me like a glove. Oh, and I'm inherently lazy so the chain drive of the Scrambler vs the Shaft of the Guzzi was a no brainer! ;-)

      Delete
  8. So have you started counting down the days? Might be the longest winter for you!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me be specific... 205 days, 9 hours, 41 minutes and ten seconds.... :-( http://days.to/15-april/2016

      Delete
    2. Nice, somehow I am not surprised!

      Bruce

      Delete