Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

71 Days, 7 hours, 40 Minutes & 25 Seconds To Go Until Bella Comes Home!


"If you want a modern retro motorcycle that's authentic, easy to ride, looks fantastic and makes you feel even better, [look no further than the awesome Moto Guzzi V7 Racer!]." - Auto Trader


Not To Long Now Before I Pick Up Bella!

It's an unusual if not slightly surreal feeling to be able to say truly and officially that I own a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer. Any new motorcycle is an exciting endeavour, even if the motorcycle might be used. But Bella is so much more than just another mortorcycle. She is a rolling piece of art that for lack of a better word, is just a sensational tribute to the art of motorcycles. She is to today's motorcyclists what the Ford Mustang was to your average working Joe back in 1965. An affordable hot rod that may not be as powerful as the Mustang itself, but that oozes charisma and sex appeal that very few motorcycles (or cars for that matter) achieve today.

Moto Guzzi California
I received confirmation on February 15, 2016 that my financing had come through and that Bella was now officially mine and payments would start in March 2016. Though I could live without the payments ($165.00 p/month at 7.98% financing -  so not too bad at all!) the thought of living without Bella was just unberable. I still receive quizzical looks from people when they find out that I purchased a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer instead of something Japanese or American. I can't help but think "if you have to ask..." In the end, I am not blinded by her beauty. My return to Moto Guzzi surprised even me at first. However, in hindsight, there were always tell tale signs that it would happen. My visit to the South Korean Motorcycle Market left me with a desire to own one again but at that time it was in the form of a Moto Guzzi California with a chromed tank. The quirky pull to one side when you rev the engine is still very much one of the most endearing aspects of the bike to me. 

2010 Moto Guzzi CaféPic © Canada MotoGuide
Upon moving back to Canada in 2010 I recall seeing the V7 range up close and personal for the first time. It was a 2010 V7 Café with the lime green plastic fuel tank. A young woman was sitting on the bike and trying to get a feel for it. The owner of Moto Sport Newman was trying to sell the virtues of the bike to her and as do most motorcyclists I chimed in about the reliability of the motor itself and the endearing sound it made at idle. My original intent was not to dissuade her but rather to add to a lively conversation that they and other potential customers were having about the Guzzi line. When I had a chance to sit on the bike I remember feeling surprised at how well it fit me. Even the lime green tank was gorgeous in the metal plastic. The picture above does not do it justice. That being said, I just moved to Canada and I had my doubts about a plastic fuel tank. Yet, that bike never left my mind entirely.

Fast forward to 2014 and once again I was at Rock Moto Sport sitting atop a 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer leftover selling at the time for $10, 000 (before tax, dealership fees, etc.). By now Piaggio had incresed the tank capacity to 5.8 gallons (22 litres) and made it metal, thankfully. It was a toss up between the Racer and the Triumph Thruxton, at least where price was concerned. I am not ashamed to say that whilst I instantly loved the look and feel of the V7 Racer with its in your face good looks, I was also intimidated by the very things that makes it so special. The more conservative Bonnie seemed to fit my less than glamorous stature and appearance. In any case, it wasn't meant to be as that V7 Racer sold rather quickly.

The Moto Guzzi V7 is nothing if not a time machine. Though it is just barely a Ton Up Bike by Café racer standards it is also something more than just a tribute bike to the late Enrico Lorenzetti, The V7 Racer, at least in my humble opinion, is a celebration about everything that makes motorcycling so great in the first place. She is everything that companies like Royal Enfield and Indian are; what with her classic lines and irresitable charm but also with the reliability of a modern motorcycle with all the gremlins worked out of the engine and at an affordable reduced price! With spring just around the corner, lets hope that the next 71 days go by in a blink of an eye.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mario! Now all you need is a side cart for the fam......lol

    Pearl Webb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Mario !!! nice birthday present eh !?

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. awaiting ur riding pics bro....71 days from now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Mario! Time to hit the road!

    Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing !! Use it well.

    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella is beautiful!!!!! Very sexy bike but then I would expect nothing less for you.. Looking of the pic with Jen looking at the bike .. Me thinks that she loves it too.. I can see you both riding away .. Heading for the mountains.....

    Dad

    ReplyDelete