Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Monday, July 4, 2016

Ride to the Neelkanthswar Temple of Udaipur, Vidisha, MP By Sabya Sachi Ghosh

Sabya Sachi Ghosh & His Trusted Royal Enfield
Where shall I begin...let me start by emphatically stating that this masterpiece is so far the finest example of temple architecture i have ever laid my eyes upon....it was a humbling experience to view the epitome of sculptural splendour that human hands are capable of crafting....and deep down I do feel sad that I do not know the names or the lives of any of those sculptors that toiled in the sweltering sun of central India to leave behind this poetry in stone.



Now lets come to the sad part of this story....road to udaipur from gyaraspur (near vidisha) is a back breaking trail... rajesh and I had to ride for almost 20 kms over slippery slosh in order to reach this place. Also there is very little information in the net about this marvallous structure...all the relevant information I could garner from the net is from Temple Advisor. as usual the locals are not very knowledgable about the history behind this temple and I was aghast to see a very sad example of the total disregard these locals have for the art their ancestors created... just behind the temple I saw a superbly carved Vishnu on a door lintal piece of a temple's garba griha being used as a low wall for an entry staircase cum sitting area to a house that has a very kitschy Hanuman painted on the door...(I wonder how did the ASI even allow such a brazen act of disrespect to ones heritage). Any way thats how things are...


















































Thank You!

Pics & Words © Sabya Sachi Ghosh

No comments:

Post a Comment