Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Spring 2017 Maritimes Wishlist - Cape Spear, Newfoundland, Canada

Cape Spear Lighthouse - Most eastern point in North America.
Cape Spear, Newfoundland Canada
Pic © Shutterstock
As December fast approaches we saw the last of our unusually warm weather here in Quebec this past Saturday. For good measure, people were out and about on their Honda Furies, Harley-Davidson Forty-Eights and BMW R nine Ts. I found myself resenting Old Man Winter as the next day we saw snowfall. Twenty-five centimeters worth of snowfall to be exact. Global warming giveth and it taketh away. Whilst Bella stays snug and warm during the next few months, I find myself already counting down the days until spring is here and with it, a promise of new adventures to come. One such adventure is a trip I plan to take to the Maritimes, specifically, Cape Spear, the most easterly point of Canada.


Remember the day I brought Bella home?

Whilst most people would never consider taking a 5, 052 km (3139 miles) trip on a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, I can't think of a better bike personally. At 395lbs with a 5.8 Gallon/22 liter tank (500 kilometer/300mile range), shaft drive, ease of wrenching including valve adjustments and retro classic authenticity; what more could I ask for? I have spent this past summer acquainting myself with my little Moto Guzzi and in doing so realized that many of the accessories I have purchased for both the bike and myself have been hit and miss at times. So it should be of no surprise that I will be picking up a few more things this winter to properly prepare for the trip which I am planning to complete in spring 2017.

Good Reading For Those Camping Trips By the Fire
Pic © Universal Music Canada
In preparation I have already been scouring over websites such as Bike Bandit and RevZilla for a variety of goodies that I hope to fill my own Christmas stocking with this holiday season. There are varying opinions as to what you should bring on such a trip and whilst I have nothing but mad respect for Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's Long Way Round, their supply list left something to be desired. Call me old fashioned but my philosophy is that less is more. Unlike Kawasaki Parts which are more easily obtainable wherever you are, Moto Guzzi is a niche brand and dealerships are few and far between. I will be picking up a few items prior to my departure, such as an extra clutch and brake cable, lest we forget my experience with the WidowMaker!


In addition, I will likely need to purchase a new set of tires before my trip. GuzziTech is a great site for any Moto Guzzi enthusiast looking for suggestions on what to outfit their bikes with. Personally, I have been considering a set of Michelin Tires, specifically, the Michelin Commander II. It's a long lasting tire with excellent grip which is exactly what I am looking for especially in the rain. Whilst I am not a fan of saddlebags, I have looked into adding a rear rack to Bella. I own a set of Kriega Dry Bags that have served me well since 2009. Alternatively, 70tre sells a nice tank rack that would also work very well.


Though I have been relatively happy with the pair of Motorcycle Boots that I purchased earlier this year, I have been contemplating purchasing a second set. I own a pair of Forma low cut boots. Though they are generally comfortable and have adequate protection, they look more like a running shoe than they do a proper boot. Oddly, I find myself strangely attracted to the apocalyptic styled Icon 1000 Elsinore Motorcycle Boots. They certainly look the part and have the reviews to support them too.


With seven months to plan the perfect trip my wishlist will surely grow and hopefully, my bank account will too! Making things a tad more interesting, I am endeavouring to undertake an Iron Butt Association SaddleSore 1000/Bun Burner 1500. Thus, if you or someone you know has actually travelled to Cape Spear drop me a line and share your thoughts and stories about your experiences. I will be planning my route and making my list; checking it twice and trying to decide whether to go through the United States or remain in Canada. In the meantime, if you should be one of the fortunate many who live in warmer climates, be sure to ride often and share your stories with those unlucky enough to live in countries with more snow than summer.

Call For Submissions!  


Would you like to be a Guest Contributor?  
Say What? is always looking for quality contributions to our blog.

1 comment:

  1. Mister Spattered Jacket. Your eastern destination trip sounds like an amazing adventure. The Planning portion with all the anticipation is part of the fun. Looking forward to future write up's about this trip.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete