Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

But I'm Not Depressed: A Memoir of Disintegration By Lia Rees


Brain injury plunged me into a world of distortion and chaos, where my own thoughts and senses could no longer be trusted. Searching for medical help, I found doubt and manipulation instead. "But I’m Not Depressed" is a bleak but ultimately hopeful tale, and a slap in the face to the culture of psychobabble.
- Lia Rees

About The Book



This is what happened when something devastating crashed into an unusual mind. When I suffered a brain injury at the age of 19, I was not told what I had. The world became a dreamlike haze. I was cut off from my own thoughts and memories. Instead of receiving medical treatment, I was sent into psychotherapy. So began a ten-year battle to recover my lost self. This memoir is a window into the surreal internal landscape of a brain injury survivor striving to find reality once more. Positive thinking and pills couldn't fix me, but a bizarre and cutting-edge field of medicine just might.

About The Author



Lia Rees lives in London. She loves music, particularly prog rock, chillout and anything melancholy. Her ideal house involves plenty of books, attractive lamps and things made from coloured glass. Open-source culture and wild places excite her, and she has dabbled in the creative arts of jewellery making, crochet and T-shirt design.

Buy The Book!
Since 2005, she has been living with the psychological and cognitive effects of an acquired brain injury. Her first book, "But I'm Not Depressed", uses a lyrical, honest writing style to convey the loss of language and personality itself, and her search for answers in a flawed medical system. She writes to bring readers into the surreal world of the survivor, and to save other survivors from the psychology trap. A follow-up book is planned on the effects of brain injury in high-IQ people.


Her "day job" involves creating book covers and videos for authors. She also has ambitions for a science fantasy trilogy and a concept album.

Links:  



Graphic Work: 


1 comment:

  1. Your mind is who you are.
    When you lose it,
    what do you become?

    As a mental health advocate, I have long been intrigued by Lia's story. She tells it so compellingly it will make you see the way she sees the world. She isn't just describing her experiences, she is showing them, and I think that's part of what makes it so unique. It's an excellent blend of fiction and reality. I love how she uses song titles at the start of each chapter. It engages you especially if you recognize the song, even more so if the song had meaning to you too.

    "The brain injury didn't make me weird, I was already weird."

    As research expands into illnesses like Alzheimer's, Bi-Polar, Dementia, we are continually forced to approach these illnesses with a non-duality form of treatment. To take therapy and turn it into medical treatment rather than dismissive diagnoses. To take medical treatment and use it as therapy to cure, not just treat the symptoms. I believe Lia's story is an important example of how our views of the brain must change in order to truly help more people. Lia doesn't accept the dismissive diagnoses of psycho-therapy. She knows herself so well, she knows that she suffered an actual injury. This means doctors must help her too, not just her therapists.

    ReplyDelete