Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Mad Bastard Scooter Rally 2017!


What happens when you unleash hundreds of crazed scooter fanatics armed with 50ccs of pure unadulterated mayhem onto the backroads and byways of Ontario? You get a lifetime of memories squeezed into a mere 20 hours of non-stop riding, ruckusing and rabble-rousing. For more information on the Mad Bastard Scooter Rally, or to join up, visit our website and Facebook
- MBSR


As we say farewell to January 1st, 2017 a sense of renewed hope for an exciting year of riding, touring and scootering fills my heart with excitement and anticipation. Yes, you read that correctly.  I said scootering. No, I didn't sell my beloved Bella. However, the Mad Bastard Scooter Rally officials do not allow anything above 200cc to partake. Thus, whilst my experience with Mr. T had put me off the idea of using a small capacity engine for any kind of touring trip, reading about some of the folks who do these trips on small cylinder engines does entice me to rethink my stance. After all, many people use Yamaha TW200s or Honda Groms, let alone vintage Vespas and all makes and sizes of scooters, from 50cc to 200cc bikes to tour our tiny planet on a daily, monthly and yearly basis. Just look at Wander on A Honda!


This event takes place every two years and harks back to a time when scootering/motorcycling was about the adventure and fun of it as opposed to posers' attitudes that so many bikers have adopted today. We take ourselves so seriously when really, part of what makes cycling on two wheels so great in the first place is the sheer neoteny of it all. Perhaps its motorcycle fever. Maybe its a mid-scooter crisis. I can't say with any certainty. However, I do know that I have all but chosen the scooter/bike I plan on buying. However, until I know for certain, I will keep it under wraps in case it doesn't pan out. Worse case scenario, I just may ride Bella down and rent a scooter whilst in London, Ontario. It could be the best of both worlds. Either way, don't just sit there reading blogs about other people's adventures; get out there and make your own trips a reality! 

Happy New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment