Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Meet Bambina - My SYM Wolf Classic 150!


Motorcycle fever hit me hard this year. As my children dreamed of sugar plums and prayed for snow days I sit here in my darkened little corner of our home looking fondly at pictures of my Bella, my Moto Guzzi V7 Racer. It was all that I could do this winter not to lose myself in thoughts of moving to warmer pastures. Whilst the latter is out of the question, at least for now, and having purchased most of what I wanted in terms of accessories for Bella last year I needed to think outside the box. After all, what do you get a bike that has everything including charm, good looks and a heart of steel? Why, another motorcycle of course!


1959 Royal Enfield Prince -
Old Motorcycle Shop
I wanted to buy a classic motorcycle and came very close to pulling the trigger on a 1959 Royal Enfield Prince presently on offer at the Old Motorcycle Shop in Calgary, Alberta. It's as close to acquiring a Royal Enfield Flying Flea as I was going to get, at least here in Canada. However, the lads at the Old Motorcycle Shop thought my intentions of riding the bike back to Quebec over the course of a week on its own steam were questionable. Couple that with the fact that I later actually found a beautiful RE Flying Flea for sale... in Australia... and well, I got to thinking about what it is I am actually looking for. Not least of all because my Bella is and will continue to be my daily ride.

1973 Honda CB125
By all accounts, I came across The Sym Wolf Classic 150 by accident. In fact, I couldn't even tell you where I first read about the little bike, only that it shared certain characteristics with the relatively better known Honda CB125 long since discontinued. So you can imagine my surprise when I learned that Honda had contracted both the Honda Cub and the Honda CB125 to Sanyang Industry Co. Ltd or SYM, a Taiwanese based company between 1962 to 2002. Thus, whilst Honda has since moved on to more contemporary models such as the Honda Grom, Sym kept quietly producing the little Honda CB125 under its new name as the Sym Wolf Classic ever since. There are some subtle differences of course. The Wolf Classic comes with ceramic heads, a bored out engine to just shy of 150 ccs and some fresh updates on the body of the bike, most notably the seat and rear tailight to name but a few. The Sym Wolf retails in Canada for $3299.00 before taxes. Not bad for a little classic bike with modern reliability; especially when you find a lightly used 2013 model for only $1900.00! ;-) Without further ado, meet Bambi (Short for Bambina):

Meet Bambi
My New (to me) 2013 Sym Wolf Classic 150! :-)
I bought Bambi from Scootart, a brilliant little scooter shop in Montreal, Quebec. With the little bike being just two hours down the road from me, it felt somewhat like fate that I found her as there are literally no Sym Wolf Classics for sale anywhere else close by, new or used. For $1900, the deal included a new battery and four blinker set (apparently the one fault owners have with this bike are the cheapo turn signals that Sym uses) along with a warranty for the summer starting in either April or May (my choice). The bike has no cosmetic damage, oils have been changed and it runs perfectly! Oh, did I mention that it comes with its original tool kit and owner's manual! With just over 2600 km (1615 miles) on the clock, she is just broken in and in need of a home where her pretty looks will go hand in hand with Bella's!

It's The Little Things in Life... :-)
Thanks Goes Out To Jean-Francois from Scootart For Getting Bambi Ready! 
Scooters Be Like - That Ain't No Scooter!
Hmmm, If Bella Could Produce Offspring,
Would Bambi Be Her Illegitimate Bambina?
Did you notice the Centre Stand and the Kick Starter Yet?
All Gussied Up and Ready To Be Picked Up!
Whilst most people are looking to buy a bigger bike, I can't help but be drawn to the more attractive and aesthetically pleasing smaller motorcycles. I have looked with great interest over the years at bikes from Cleveland Cycle Werks (CCW) and more recently, Herald. However, reports on build quality with CCW has given me pause whilst Herald is in the U.K. only at at this time. Some have stated that the Suzuki TU250 is a good option, but honestly, it doesn't do anything for me. While I did consider Yamaha's SR400 at one time, the latter is simply way overpriced and hence has been stalled from entering the Canadian market at this time. But even if all said options were lined up in front of me and I could choose any bike, I'd still choose the little Wolf. At just 266 lbs wet and a max speed of 110 km (65 miles) per hour, not to mention drop dead gorgeous looks (I have a thing for redheads), what's not to like? As a former Honda CB125, it's the perfect platform for backroad adventures, city commutes and the odd, if not peculiar rallies like the Mad Bastard Scooter Rally that both Bambi and I will hopefully be attending this spring! Not to mention, Bella now has a kid sister to keep her company during those cold winter months as all three of us wait anxiously for spring to return!

13 comments:

  1. You write really well Mario! Congrats on your new purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! If you ever want to learn how to ride, I can teach you!

      Delete
    2. That could be cool! I'll think about it!

      Delete
  2. You are going to love it, especially after getting it well broke in.
    The longer I run my Wolf the better it performs.

    Are you in Montreal? I'm near Windsor ON

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the message! I live in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I am actually thinking about attending the Mad Bastard Scooter Rally in London Ontario this June. They allow sub 200 bikes to enter (but owners can't win the main scooter prize!). If I do head down that way on Bambi maybe we can meet up? Food for thought!

      Delete
  3. Good for you Mario. The Enfield dealer here sells them.

    BTW if you ever buy an Enfield of any kind I found an amazing parts supplier in England called Hitchcocks and they have parts for every year bullet. They ship the same day you order. They had all the parts I needed to finish my 63 INTERCEPTOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gary! I appreciate the advice and have actually sourced stuff from Watsonian in the past when I owned my 2009 RE Bullet Classic EFI in Ireland. I had not realized that Hitchcocks acquired their inventory! Still have it in my head to pick up an RE! Have a good weekend and take care.

      Delete
  4. I also own both a SYM Wolf 150 and a Moto Guzzi V7. I was going to sell my 150 when I got the Goose, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. Congrats on the new bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Part of why I bought the little Sym is because its so small and cost(s) next to nothing to own. I figured that it's pretty enough to just display in the living room if I decide in future to only use my V7 (or or vice versa)!

      Delete
  5. Great colour. Everyone knows the black and red wolf is faster than the other models.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SYM dealers in the US are few and far between & this bike even farther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Yes, I have heard that there has been a serious issue with dealer support in the U.S. However, I lucked out, my dealer is only two hours away from me and I will be doing most of my own work on the bike. Also, I got the bike at a great price, it being a slightly used 2013 model. Comes with a summer warranty to boot! As a second bike in the stable, I couldn't be happier!

      Delete
  7. Great post! Thanks Mario RJ Corbin!

    ReplyDelete