Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Becoming A Tattoo Artist - Draw Or Else!

Draw Or Else!
Pic/Gif © gifin.com
Over the course of the last seven months I have noticed that despite the prevailing belief that to become a tattoo artist you need to be an expert drawer, the truth is this is not always the case. It would be fair to say that any tattoo artist should have an artistic talent. However, many artists are opting to create beautiful and intricate designs via programs like PhotoShop. There are two schools of thought on the latter. Some argue that the technology is removing the artist from the art whilst others say that it is a natural extension of the artist's talent. Whatever your thoughts on the matter, as far as I am concerned so long as the artist can actually tattoo, it's all that matters. I use to draw regularly when I was younger but once I moved to Ireland I allowed it to fall to by the wayside. It wasn't from a lack of interest. Rather, there aren't many people willing to pay for handdrawn images anymore. 😔

'The Batman'
One of My Recent Drawings
Completed in 2016 Using Sharpies and a Wooden Canvas!
I have drawings from as far back to when I was just a wee lad growing up in the 1980's. Over the years I developed my art to where I inevitably began using various sources for inspiration ranging from comic books to nature itself. Whilst you may think that I am about to say that I am an incredible artist, the simple fact is that I am not. On the contrary, in comparison to many tattoo artists, I am probably average at best. Todd Beck is a fantastic artist. On any given day you can walk into his studio and chances are he will be hard at work creating some of the most fantastic art pieces ranging from realism to some old school designs. Other local talents include Crystal-Marie and Noémie who both employ a mixture of hand drawing and PhotoShop to get their pieces just right. Inevitably my venture into tattooing has allowed me to revive a part of myself that I had long since given up on. Below are several examples of my art work that I could find. I used many different mediums and include some of my most recent work as I drew some new pieces for Todd for my portfolio.

Past Portraits








I have never really been great at drawing 'life', so to speak. But I have tried over the last 25 years off and on. Other than a few caricatures and some genuine attempts at drawing some people, I never could master the art of making realistic portraits. Again, I know that there are courses and tutorials that I can take and inevitably, I will now that I will be tattooing. However, the purpose of learning how to do the latter doesn't mean that I will even try to tattoo realistic portraits. Maybe in ten years I will change my mind but too many things can go wrong with tattooing people's loved ones on their bodies. There are plenty of amazing tattoo artist that can do this already anyways so I'd rather stick to things I know I could do without a second thought.

Past Cartoons



Words By Mark Beluse
Drawing By Mario R.J. Corbin

Words By Mark Beluse
Drawing By Mario R.J. Corbin

Words By Mark Beluse
Drawing By Mario R.J. Corbin

Words By Mark Beluse
Drawing By Mario R.J. Corbin

Words By Mark Beluse
Drawing By Mario R.J. Corbin
 

Back in the early 1990's the Death of Superman literally shocked the Western world. Naturally you can't keep a cash cow down so he has returned since. However, I found myself inspired by his demise to create an alternate reality where Garfield the Cat was Supercat and my high school friend, Mark Beluse, wrote some of the captions and helped with the storyline.

Murals On Paper








Murals On Walls

















I have to confess, I really enjoy making murals. I love being able to fill up an entire wall with some form of art. I have done various Disney characters in the past and may even be doing some more work for a day care in Montreal as seen in For The Love of Baby Hulk. Painting has never come easy to me though and that being said, I learned recently that tattooing is more like painting than it is drawing, at least where shading is concerned. So in many ways, whilst I am always initially hesitant to create a mural, once started I find myself lost in the work for hours, if not days. Hopefully the same will apply to shading my tattoos in the near future.

Miscellaneous












Oy Vay! The angst of being a young adult... or at least I was once upon a time. I do enjoy doodling and the above is my version of just letting my mind wander, as scary as that may be to those on the outside looking in. I haven't really drawn like this in many moons but suffice it to say, the drawings above took me to places when I felt trapped in life's daily headaches living and working in Montreal whilst trying to complete my education at Concordia University.

Recent Drawings For My Tattoo Portfolio









The above is a mixture of drawing directly to paper and in the case of Spiderman and Wonder Woman, I tried my hand at doing what many tattoo artists do. Namely, I trace the outline of the character and then personally fill the character in myself. The end results were pretty interesting and helps me scale my drawings to a more manageable if not realistic size for most individuals seeking a tattoo of this type. I prefer drawing larger pictures as the smaller one's can be more cumbersome. Thus, tracing the exterior outline of the character allows me some artistic leeway in how I want the look and tone of the character to feel. Like tattooing itself, however, the key is to practice drawing regularly and in doing so, push yourself to expand beyond your comfort levels. Yes, PhotoShop is wonderful and eventually I will learn how to use it myself. However, there is something hopelessly romantic about not only drawing something unique but equally, seeing it tattooed on what will hopefully be a happy customer!

No comments:

Post a Comment